What is Certification?
Certification is a multi-part process that all students go through to demonstrate they are ready to move to the program’s next level.
HOW CERTIFICATION WORKS
Students must meet ALL the following criteria before advancing to the next level. Please click your child’s current level to see the progression guide. If you are not sure of your child’s status, please contact Derek Kinzer.
- Sub-levels Certification Process – This NEW certification process encourages progression through First Tee. These 3 sub-levels allow your child to see their progression and builds their progression so that they will become better golfers across their First Tee journey. The benefit of having sub-levels is that each sub-level allows the child’s golf skills to increase so that they are then better prepared when moving onto the next program level. Your child MUST pass the third sub-level in order to progress to the next level.
- Minimum Age/Age Requirements – Each student must meet the minimum age recommendation.
- PLAYer – Required Age 7.
- Par – Recommended Age 9. (Must have passed certification PLAYer 3)
- Birdie – Recommended Age 11. (Must have passed certification PAR 3)
- Eagle – Recommended Age 13. (Must have passed certification BIRDIE 3)
- ACE – Required Age 15.
- Written Assessment – Each student must pass a written test. The written test will focus on information covered in class and in their Yardage Books. This includes: core values, life skills, golf etiquette and golf rules. Tests require a score of 80% or better to be considered passing. Should a child not reach a passing score on the first attempt, a second opportunity will be made available.
- Yardage Books – Each student should complete as much material in their yardage book as their class covers. Questions should be answered thoroughly and thoughtfully. Yardage books will be checked and then given back for future review/reference.
- Golf Skills Demonstration – Each student will be required to demonstrate minimum levels of proficiency in regards to their golf abilities (putting, chipping and full swing).
- Coach Recommendation – Each student must receive a recommendation from their current level coach before advancing. If a student’s coach does not feel they are “ready” to advance, they will not be allowed to move on. Chapter staff will communicate directly with coaches to determine which students are able to advance.
- Advancement – Once a participant has met all of the above criteria they will be moved up to the next level. The participant will attend her/his new class at the beginning of the next season.